Go Back   Lincoln Cent Resource > Lincoln Cent Series > Collector Q&A
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Notices

Collector Q&A Found a Coin? Have a picture? Don't know if it's a variety, error? Just have a question about Lincoln Cents?

Old 05-28-2012   #1
mikes7657

Thanked 8 Times
mikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nice
Answered: 1982 Plain Zinc Large Date DDO DDR?

Attached are some photos of a specimen that came out of my wife's penny jar. It is lustrous and beautiful. I have had a hard time finding the die markers, but I'm sure it is DDO at least. There is a nice spread in LIBERT of LIBERTY decreasing right to left and a nice little spread in the date. There is a lot of notching in IN GOD WE TRUST as well as extra thickness that may not be visible in these somewhat fuzzy photos. The reverse has extra thickness in all of the characters and high magnification reveals a lot of notching and seperation lines.

I looked at the 1982 Small Date DDR and found a lot of die markers that suggest this coin was struck from the same reverse die as 1982P 1DR-001. I found the die scratch marks on the left side of the memorial, when held up to the light just right, and an identical business of scratch marks between the E CEN of ONE CENT.

These photos are not great, but they do the job of getting to the heart of the beauty of this thing.

Am I right about the Extra Thickness on the Reverse? Can you see any of the notches or die markers in the photo?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982pslash.jpg (142.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 1982pslash7.jpg (136.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 1982pslash8.JPG (368.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by mikes7657; 05-28-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Found die markers
mikes7657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Best Answer - Posted by mustbebob
Sorry Mike. Based on your photos, I can not see any evidence of a doubled die whether on the obverse or reverse. The reverse looks normal.
Old 05-28-2012   #2
mustbebob
Moderator,Lincoln Cent Variety Expert

Thanked 2,419 Times
mustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond reputemustbebob has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 283
Sorry Mike. Based on your photos, I can not see any evidence of a doubled die whether on the obverse or reverse. The reverse looks normal.
mustbebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Thanks
Old 05-28-2012   #3
willbrooks
Paid Member

Thanked 1,272 Times
willbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond reputewillbrooks has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 142
Bob certainly doesn't need any back-up, but I don't see any signs of a doubled die either. What do you think of the probability that a reverse doubled die used in a completely different pairing was later re-used and just happened to be paired with an obverse doubled die? Anything is possible, but I don't believe you have either one here. Sorry, Mike, but don't give up. 1982 cents can be particularly frustrating to look at with the master die issues coupled with the late stage mushiness of the devices.
Old 05-28-2012   #4
mikes7657

Thanked 8 Times
mikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nicemikes7657 is just really nice
Yeah, the photos are probably mushier than the late stage die, lol. I'll clear them up and see if I can get a different response out of you. Odd that I see extra thickness anyway, and the die markers for the reverse that I can find are spot on even though none are visible. I thought the circular die scratches in the memorial bays sealed the deal, but I could be wrong. Sometimes, I think my eyes play tricks on me after a few hours under the glass...

One thing I won't do is give up. You'll find that out about me as time goes on.

Mike
Old 05-28-2012   #5
CoinHELP

Thanked 13 Times
CoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to behold
Visit CoinHELP's Facebook Visit CoinHELP's Twitter Visit CoinHELP's LinkedIn
I can see, at the least, some strike doubling on the LIBERTY. I would post clearer images.
Old 05-28-2012   #6
mikes7657

Thanked 8 Times
I was hoping those would be visible. These photos were taken when I was experimenting with different lenses for close up images. On the reverse, there is a really nice notch or splitting effect in the bottom of the first S in States that you can't see. There are also some nice notching effects on both sides that are almost completely lost in these images. I thought the splits in the bottoms of the 1 and 9 were visible in these images, even though the date lacks extra thickness. I could be dead wrong about the DDR, but the DDO I felt pretty confident about.

Last edited by mikes7657; 05-28-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2012   #7
RWBILLER

Thanked 581 Times
RWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond reputeRWBILLER has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 20
Looks like a normal coin to me.
Old 05-28-2012   #8
pman860507

Thanked 261 Times
pman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond reputepman860507 has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 12
I can see on the bottom of the 9 but it gets burry past that. I'm sure others could see it too. The 1 looks like PMD.

If bob says its normal then its normal.
Old 05-28-2012   #9
CoinHELP

Thanked 13 Times
CoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to beholdCoinHELP is a splendid one to behold
Visit CoinHELP's Facebook Visit CoinHELP's Twitter Visit CoinHELP's LinkedIn
I don't doubt that Bob is correct based on these images, but if this coin isn't Doubled, it still has some MD in the Liberty. I know that's still just a normal coin too many. I cropped and enhanced the LIBERTY to see if anyone else can see it better.

I am not making a big deal out of it, but I can see that the LIBERTY has something going on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1982pslash8.JPG (106.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-28-2012   #10
simonm

Thanked 1,631 Times
simonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond reputesimonm has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 182
Liberty looks like die abrasion doubling, maybe a tiny bit of machine doubling to me.
simonm is offline   Reply With Quote