Go Back   Lincoln Cent Resource > Lincoln Cent Series > Collector Q&A
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Notices

Collector Q&A Found a Coin? Have a picture? Don't know if it's a variety, error? Just have a question about Lincoln Cents?

Old 03-25-2010   #1
cbrczar

Thanked 0 Times
cbrczar is on a distinguished road
Unanswered: Where to buy bags of wheat pennies

Need recommendations of where to buy unsearched bags of wheat pennies? I don't want to get ripped off.
cbrczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #2
bhp3rd

Thanked 0 Times
bhp3rd is on a distinguished road
There are no unsearched bags of Wheat cents. They may of course not have been searched by the seller you buy them from but they have been searched by someone somewhere at somepoint.

I feel it's a must to avoid shipping cost so the best places to buy these is at show or shops. Even better if you develope a ongoing relationship with the sellers and then get better deals.
I never pay more than 2.75 cents each for them so I can sell them at .03 or .04 each.
The only time I am willing to pay more if it's a little old man or lady and I really get the feeling they have had them 60 years or so. Then I will try to bid higher that they will get at the local shop or at a show.
2 reasons, one there might (in these) be some better coins in there or varieties that were not known at the time - 2nd reason to help that older person a bit more with a little more money. They may have other stuff for sale down the road and give me a call.
Old 03-25-2010   #3
DWK

Thanked 3 Times
DWK has a spectacular aura aboutDWK has a spectacular aura about
I know of a CT. coin dealer who pays 2 cents. Are there dealers who pay more?

DWK

Last edited by DWK; 03-25-2010 at 03:27 PM.
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #4
cbrczar

Thanked 0 Times
cbrczar is on a distinguished road
Bulk Wheat Pennies

I don't live anywhere near a city nor coin shops. They pipe in the sunshine where I live. I watch out for pennies at local auctions when I can, but so far it's mostly silver coins which I can't afford.

I just thought they may be a reputable dealer that would sell bulk wheaties, but if they have been searched, then I'm out of luck I guess.
cbrczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #5
DWK

Thanked 3 Times
DWK has a spectacular aura aboutDWK has a spectacular aura about
A week or two ago I saw an E-bay seller selling gazillions of wheats etc. in small batches.

I don't know how to find it again.

DWK
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #6
corroded

Thanked 20 Times
corroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud ofcorroded has much to be proud of
Provided Answers: 1
The bags have been searched. Searched for rare dates and mintmarks mainly. No one looks for varieties but for a few collectors. I bought a bag of pennies from a place in NJ or NY, maybe Ramapo Coin Co or national Coin Exchange back in late 90"s for 118.00 per bag ppd. I got a bag once that was absolutely nothing but 1941 through 1945, no steel cents. I was feeling cheated, but that's where i got all my 1941 and 42 DDO's, tons of class VI DDR's, other desirable stuff. Most penny people are not searchers like we are. That's GREAT!! Take a chance!

Bill
corroded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #7
pennies4pennies
Paid Member

Thanked 246 Times
pennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond reputepennies4pennies has a reputation beyond repute
Provided Answers: 7
Yers most have been searched.I have tons of wheats from the 30s to 50s and as some one said they are unsearched by me.Theres no way I could look threw all of them.When I buy 10 to 30 lbs at a time I have my kids take all the 30s and 40s out and put them in a another bag and sell them for 1.75 for each roll.Yes there is no key dates but as far as the error coins they have not been seached.
Frank
pennies4pennies is offline   Reply With Quote